A “Hello” from Pastor Phil and Laurie
What a joy it is to be able to use this first newsletter article to introduce ourselves and share with you the joy and excitement we feel in having the privilege of becoming a part of the Klamath Falls First UMC family! We have looked forward to our arrival for many months, and are so grateful for the many ways in which God has so graciously worked out all the details in making possible this coming year together as pastor and people.
Here’s a few bits of information about us that may help start the process of getting to know one another:
- Since retiring from full-time ministry in 2013, we have been full-time RV’ers, living in our 40 foot fifth wheel trailer. We have thoroughly enjoyed this mobile life-style, and it has enabled us to do a number of short-term ministries around the country. We are parked for this coming year at Alpine Meadows Mobile Estates on Summers Lane.
- Pastor Phil is an avid (though not necessarily good) golfer, and a passionate supporter of the Green Bay Packers! He also enjoys music and reading and movies.
- Laurie enjoys crocheting and knitting, photography, music, reading, and movies as well.
- We have, between us, six children and twelve grandchildren, all of whom live in Canada. Our first great grandchild is due before the end of the year! Another important member of our family is our 11 year old Cairn Terrier, Roxie, who will joyously welcome you to our home if you come to visit!
- We are marking our 25th wedding anniversary this August 6, and looking forward to a celebratory cruise with Phil’s siblings and their spouses later this year.
As you will no doubt hear me say several times in these first few weeks as your new pastor, we do not understand all the reasons why God places such diverse groups of individuals together in communities of faith, but the fact remains that God, in God’s wisdom and providence, has brought each of us together here at Klamath Falls First UMC at this particular time and place for mission and ministry to our community in Christ’s name. Each of us has a vital and significant part to play in that divine plan, and what a joy it will be in these months to see God at work as we courageously embrace new ways of doing ministry together to see that divine plan accomplished, and to prepare ourselves for new possibilities here in this place where God has called us.
May God continue to bless us and use us as we seek to become all that God is calling us to be!
In Christ’s love – and mine!